Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Mustang's visit the Astros

Yesterday evening the Mustang Nation went to the Astros vs. Giants game at Minute Maid. It was SUCH a great game! It was also Allison and Torie’s first Astros game in addition to being mother’s first game at Minute Maid park. Everyone had a blast! James did start asking if it was the last inning during the 5th and 6th but then he hooked up with a couple of Mustang players and they kept him busy throwing peanuts at other ball players. :-)

The game started with the ‘Stros scoring a run in each of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th innings putting us on top 3-0. The runs came in courtesy of a Hunter Pence double, a Carlos Lee home run and a fantastically surprising dinger from Woody Williams! That was one of the best plays of the game! However in the top of the 6th the Giants put up a crooked number against Woody and tied the game at 3. Things didn’t start looking bad until SF added another run in both of the next two innings. At 5-3 Giants in the 8th I started praying. :-)
But not to worry! Hunter Pence is here! Good old “El Caballo”(Lee) singles in the bottom of the 8th and with two outs Hunter sends the ball into the Chic-fil-A foul pole for a 2 run tater! If that wasn’t exciting enough, we found out that we could turn in our tickets the next day and get free Chic-fil-A chicken sandwiches because he hit the foul pole!! THANK YOU HUNTER PENCE!!

So... we’re tied at 5 in the bottom of the 8th. Everett ends the inning with a pop out and the 9th goes by uneventful. Chad Qualls sends the Giants down in order in the top of the 10th so we go to the bottom of the inning with the middle of the lineup due up. Lance Berkman leads of with a strike out and Carlos Lee is up next. How bout another homer, Lee? “No problem! Somebody’s got to carry the offense!” :-) Lee connects and sends the ball deep to the left center field facade for a walk-off round tripper! Lets hear it for the Caballo!

How’s that for a great game?

We went to Chic-fil-A this afternoon along with the Chambers and Mitt’s and got our free chicken sandwiches! What a deal!

God Bless,
~MW~

P.S. For the baseball ignorant “tater,” “round tripper,” and “dinger,” are all names for a home run. I made a list and I decided to use some of them. Its amazing how many terms there are for one hit!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm....that's nice.

Anonymous said...

:-)

The Pookie said...

Quite. :)

Anonymous said...

Well, I enjoyed it. In fact, I'll probably be smiling the rest of the week because of it. :):) And I had the most fun writing that recap. Editing and all.

~MW~

Anonymous said...

That's great! Glad you enjoy it so much :-)

Anonymous said...

Brooke you sound like an echo. :-)

We are above .500 now!

Ok, remember when I noted that stat of winning %? There were only 6 teams in all of MLB that had a worse % than we did. NOW... I must update that statistic. As of today there are NINETEEN teams below us. Hows that for improvement? We are in 2nd place in our division and 5th place overall in our league.

How bout a cheer for Hunter Pence! 7-7 in this series with 2 HRs! I heard that he crushed the one last night. It hit over the railroad tracks. The announcer said he sent it into orbit. :):):)

~MW~

Anonymous said...

Boo ya. Pence's HR that hit the tracks was the HR of the week on ESPN!!!

TC

Anonymous said...

oh man, I'd like to see it...

~MW~

Anonymous said...

GO ASTROS!!!!!! WOOHOOOO!!!! Y'ALL ROCK!!!! How was that, Missy? : ): ) : )

Anonymous said...

P.S. We're leaving in only three days to come to TX! Call me and we'll figure out when we're going to get together...: D

Anonymous said...

Will do! Can't wait!

And, you'll make a great Astros fan! Unlike some other people around here...

:)

~MW~

Anonymous said...

Yeah, just trying to comment with a little enthusiasm to make up for the lack thereof.... : )

Anonymous said...

It's hard to cheer when they lose all the time! lol jk, I have no idea how much they've lost or how they're doing. I'm just playin devil's advocate :-)

Anonymous said...

What a lousy excuse! How can you say that you don't know how they're doing?! I just told yall!

:):):)
~MW~

Anonymous said...

BTW, we got high speed! Its so nice...

~MW~

Anonymous said...

Umm.... truth be known, I didn't read the entire post. In fact, I read very little of it. Please don't think any less of me becuase of it :)

Anonymous said...

Actually, I didn't expect very many people to read the whole thing. :) I really don't mind. Probably the only reason I posted it was so I can come back a long time from now and read about it. :)

~MW~

The Pookie said...

You should try a journal... they last longer :)

Anonymous said...

I've tried journaling but its easier and faster to type things. :) I'm lazy. So whenever I post about "boring baseball games" then just don't bother reading them! :)

~MW~

Anonymous said...

You've convinced me :)

Anonymous said...

BTW i was at your graduation John. I had to leave early, but I got to see your powerpoint thing before i left.

TC

Anonymous said...

Oh good.

Anonymous said...

Vote for Pence!!!!!