A few days ago marked the one month aniversary of my stay in San Antonio. If I had to describe my first month in a few words I would say it has been: exciting, challenging, educational, and just plain good. It has been
Exciting because I love new things and this is a new place with new people and new things to do.
Challenging because I have left my favorite people in the world at at home and I really, really miss them. I miss my animals and piano too. :) Perhaps the hardest challenge for me was the request of one of my dearest friends to be her Maid of Honor and embracing that role knowing that I could not be there to do everything with her. However, I know the Lord has a plan and He is helping me to do my best over long distance.
Educational in that I am learning about living on my own, working with different people groups, working at Chick-fil-A, etc...
And it has been Good, because in everything that I have done, all the challenges I've been facing, and everything that has happened, God has been right there to walk me through it. He has taught me, held me, corrected me, and loved me. And He has given me such a peace that I really cannot complain about anything. :) I am so grateful for His grace and love.
I am well into February now and it is promising to be a VERY busy month. I have settled into a 30+ hour-a-week job and the XTI homework assignments are starting to pour in. :-) I have also begun building relationships with refugees and that requires time as well. This particular week will be especially busy because I am going HOME this weekend! I will have to get ahread on homework and chores so that I am not overwhlemed when I return on Sunday. I am up for the challenger though! This week also holds extra excitement because I will be able to visit with some friends who are in town on Wednesday and Thursday! I am very excited. I hope the Lord continues to bless me with these opportunities to hang out with dear friends from home.
XTI Stuff
We have been studying leadership and storying in our XTI class this month. Leadership, because every missionary is a leader, and storying, because stories perhaps the most effective way of transmitting the gospel(which would explain why Jesus used stories so much). :) One of the key things we have learned about leadership is "empowerment." Giving of yourself so as to build up others to do the calling of God. Basically what Jesus did with the disciples. He poured Himself into them and gave them authority so that they could carry on His ministry after He was gone. So we have been studying the different stategies and aspects of Jesus's leadership and it has been very enlightening.
As far as storying goes, I had already learned much of what we are doing in Uganda. I thoroughly enjoy doing stories though. Liz and I were assigned a story for Sunday house church and we loved every minute of our preparation and presentation. We learned so much because to tell a story you much KNOW it exptremely well. We delighted to dive deep into the word of God so that we could give a good story. It was a blast and we want to do it often.
In other news, I am getting to know the other XTI trainees now and I really enjoy hanging out with everybody. We had a game night a week ago and that helped everyone to grow closer. We have started to hang out on our own outside of XTI class and house church. We had Christina and Laura over for dinner and a movie a few nights ago and it was so much fun. We concluded the night with a pillow fight and all I have to say it, pillow fights are great relationship builders. :) It adds relaxation and fun to a relationship. Not that I expected to "not get along" with anybody here, its just always hard to get settled in to a new place where the relationship are already formed and you have to join in and find your place. So, all that to say, it is going nicely and I love the XTI group. :)
Refugee Stuff
When I last wrote to you I mentioned that I had been assigned to work with refugees from Myanmar. Last week I asked Larry if I could switch to Iraqis instead. When I return to Houston next year the plan is to begin working with the Iraqis there so I figured it would be logical to start working with them here. : ) Larry aggreed and I have begun building relationship with a family just recently arrived from Jordan(where they had been for 10 years after leaving Bagdad) They have 7 kids, one of whom is still in Iraq. The girls with them are Maymona(23), Delahl(20), Aesha(14), and Stephana(I think) she is 4 and the two boys are Mustafa(17) and Adjabuhti(2). I prbably misspelled a few of those. The parents names are Kalehd and Serera. I have only hung out with them 3 times but I have enjoyed my time with them immensely. I have become aqquatined with a few other iraqis in the complex as well and I look forward to the day when I know them all by name.
Hannah and I have become involved with an ESL(English as a second language) class that it taught in an apartment complex nearby. It is directed to Myanmar people. We met with the leaders two weeks ago and listened to them brainstorm. They had been doing this for a while but decided it was time for some more organization. They only expected about 8-9 people to come to their class the next week but amazingly, 25 burmese people showed up! Karen(the leader) was very overwhelmed at first but she adapted quickly and did a wonderful job of giving their lesson. Over the next few weeks we will be assessing each person to find where they are in the English education. Most barely speak a few words and many, it seems, are not interested in changing that. So it was very encouraging to see 25 people show up at the class Thursday. I look forward to learning from Karen and seeing these people become more comfortable in their new home here in the States.
♫ Please pray for me as I head home this weekend. It will be a busy weekend so pray for rest!
♫ Pray for me and my new Iraqi friends. Pray that I find favor with them and we become good friends!
♫ Pray for Larry and Terry as they teach us and mentor us( its a big job!)
♫ Pray that I find a piano or keyboard soon! I miss my music!
♫ I need a computer of my own so if you could pray about that too that would be awesome!
Thanks!
I wish to thank you all for reading this and keeping me in your prayers! I truely appreciate it!
Much Joy!
~Missy~
4119 Copano Bay
San Antonio, TX 78229
281-702-2355
serving_him_7@sbcglobal.net
missyroow.blogspot.com
No comments:
Post a Comment