Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Letter from Missy

Howdy Yall, 7/16/08

In exactly one month we’ll be home. I’m gonna miss these kids. Most of them anyway:) I’ve been teaching the girls the Grubby to Grace (GG) devotionals and it’s really been awesome. I’m so glad the Lord has given me this opportunity to minister to these girls. It’s been so encouraging to me, too. Today’s was the best so far. Instead of following the written out lesson in the book, I decided to use the time to let them encourage each other by sharing stuff they’ve been learning.

Satan’s been really trying to divide the team and everybody was pretty frustrated. Especially about evening devotions. Two nights ago David basically brought up the issue of whether or not one can lose one’s salvation and it really upset the team. I told him afterwards that he shouldn’t have done it, but he didn’t seem to care. Then last night he basically brought up the issue of whether babies go to hell or not, and again upset the team. Instead of having an encouraging devotion to sleep on, everyone went to bed frustrated and confused. I was very upset and expressed it to Mandy - leader (22) - of other team here. She had been there too, and was upset as well. I didn’t really know what to do. Mandy later suggested we have a “slumber party”, and she slept in my tent with me. That was awesome, cause we were able to chat.

This morning I went to David again and asked him to PLEASE not bring up any controversial issues in tonight’s devotions. It really made me mad cause he was like “Why?” and it seemed like he was smirking the entire time I explained myself. It was all I could do to not to cry or get Jaron to beat him up. The entire team was upset and he acted like he could care less.

In today’s GG the Holy Spirit gave me Col 3:12 to share with the girls. I needed it just as much as they did. We were all pretty encourage after GG’s. It’s awesome how the Lord knows just what we need.

Mom, I’m finally grateful for all those hours in the kitchen.:) I feel very at home( or maybe comfortable is a better word. I miss the equipment of HOME) making the food here. I made the most amazingly wonderful cake the other day. Everybody loved it. I made some pretty good biscuits too. :) Sorry if I’m bragging slightly but... :) well no excuse. I guess I’m just in a good mood :)

The team’s gone foot washing and I’m here at the base with no responsibility and I just washed my hair! :) Needless to say, I’m feeling wonderful! :) I’m glad Jaron is here. The other day I was feeling really frustrated about stuff and I hadn’t had a break all day(it was 4 pm) so I grabbed him and we took a nice long walk around the compound while I vented and we chatted. It was great. Every now and then I get a small inkling of a sign that he’s glad I’m here. Considering its Jaron I’m talking about, that’s cool. :)

Well, tomorrow we head out into the bush. Should be an adventure. Nancy and I need to make sure we have enough food for the whole time we’re gone(I think it is 4 or 5 days). Speaking of food, feeding this team of 31 people is a GINORMOUS task. These kids (and the guy leaders) eat SO much! Its crazy! I use 20 cups of flour when I make biscuits and we eat like 4 loaves of bread for one meal. Craziness! But I love it! Oh man I’m going to miss these kids. :( We’ve already planned 3 reunions. One- a kayaking trip on the San Marcus. Two- work/missions trip to the Philippines (NOT with TMI) and Three- Kara’s wedding in a year and a half. Yea, she’s 16 and engaged already. :) But I really like her. She is one of my favorites. Everybody has face book too so we’ll keep up on there too.

Man, there is so much to say! Jaron is so weird. He sits down to write a letter(because we told everybody to) and he’s like “ I don’t know what to write. What do I say?” :) Cracks me up. I wish yall could hear these people sing! Its pretty much amazing! I took some videos so maybe yall can get an idea of what they sound like from there. I doubt the sound on the camera will do them justice. I got to wash feet yesterday. We drove about 20-30 minutes to a rescue unit outside Ndola. I washed feet for awhile - man their feet are so leathery! - and then I was a shoe “runner” for Kara. It was kinda cool. Anyway, the rest I’ll tell yall when we get home and I have pictures to help me. I’m really looking forward to Victoria Falls! Love yall!

Happily rejoicing in the Lord,

Missy:)

No comments: