July 13, 2007 -- (written by team leader) Greetings from Tanzania We thank all of you for your prayers. We made it to Kilimanjaro late yesterday, July 12,2007. We really went through one check after the other in London trying to identify our laggage and found out that the airline had lost a bag. We also found 2 bags in London that belonged to the Uganda team. Upon arrival in Nairobi, we again got delayed by the airline until we finally made it. Everyone is getting over with the jet lag. We are still missing 10 bags that did not make it to Kilimanjaro. Three of the nine are team members', one leader's and our back packs.
July 14, 2007 -- (written by team leader)We were planning to travel to the mountain today and pick up the supplies that we need for the kitchen but then our truck had a problem with the clutch plate. First it was the batteries, now the clutch plate which we hope to fix tomorrow then go to the mountain. After losing the 9 bags we realized that we have only ten backpacks but the team has been praying that the bags will be found and today the airline called and we are hoping to get them tomorrow after church. The team look forward to that. We had a few of the team members talk to the kids in the streets and many of them were touched and so thankful for what the Lord has blessed them with. We moved from Umoja, our base, out to Kiboroloni. The nights are cold and it is quite hot during day. The team has got quite a good attitude. They are so jolly and you can tell that many are really caught up with the vision. We plan on going to two orphanages tomorow, after which we hope to make it to the mountain. Continue praying for us, especially those that do not have their personal bags. Pray that we also get the other bags that have part of our food and backpacks. Also pray that the truck will get done as soon as possible so we get going. Kilimanjaro team
July 17, 2007 --(written by a member of the team) JESSE PACCHIOLI We pulled out of Boot Camp screaming and Caleb yelled “I am never coming back!” Ha! On the bus ride I fell asleep so I don’t remember much. When we were checking in they made us check in each person instead of the whole team, so took over an hour. Then we left to go to our flight right away, we were running behind on time. Security took so long, I guess the airline was just slow that day. We got there and the door was still open but the guy wouldn’t let us in. We missed our flight and waited like 6 hours but we couldn’t get another flight till 6 the next day. So we went back to Teen Missions for the night. The next day we got to the airport really early and made our flight nicely. Those 2 hours on the plane went by quick, I sat next to Richard. Our plane landed a little late so we walked off plane in D.C. to our next flight to England. I drank to much soda and didn’t feel right. That was the hardest plane ride, I couldn’t sleep. I don’t know how, but I started getting sick. The London airport was bad; we got settled in and then had to recheck-in our bags. At the time I was getting bad, I tried to get Benadryl but didn’t have the time. By the time we were done we had 2 hours in the airport left. I got my medicine and got a sandwich, it was expensive. I started to get even worse and fell asleep in the airport. We boarded our flight and I slept for 6 of the 8 hours to Nairobi. The other 2 hours I talked to Chris and to all my friends. During the flight a guy had gotten sick and the passed out. It smelled, but a doctor helped him to get back up after an hour of stuff. Also I woke up at least 3 times on the plane and had a slight fever. My leader gave me some Advil and I fell a sleep and woke up feeling fine, somewhat. In the Nairobi airport I bought a toothbrush and toothpaste and brushed my teeth. I also got as much water as I could because I was dehydrating. After the Nairobi flight we went on a smaller plane to Kilimanjaro and I slept for that too. After the flight I was filling out a visa application and I was fine when out of no were I got a horrible feeling and knew I was going to be sick, but I didn’t. After all that we lost so many bags, both of my bags are gone. I am praying that they will find them. We left the airport in a caravan that only held 13. We put 20 in and I am one of the smallest so it wasn’t good for me. We got to the place where were sleeping and it is so nice. The dinner was AMAZING. We are all still feeling bad and are about to go to bed. SUNDAY CHURCH Sunday morning we woke up early, planning to go to church with Mama Jared and her family. It was interesting to see what some of the team members were wearing to church considering 9 of our bags (including the guitars) still hadn’t arrived, and it had been almost a week. Jaron, Jesse, Amanda Tyalor, Cady and Aimee’s personal duffels were lost, so there was a lot of borrowing clothes that morning. Thankfully though the team was willing to help out. When it was time to go we walked up to the main road and again crammed into a van that would take all of us to the church, Assemblies of God Soweto. When we arrived the singing had already began and the church was almost full already. The atmosphere and the way the congregation was worshiping though had a feeling of excitement to it. I found myself not minding that the entire service was in Swahili or that I didn’t know any of the songs. I felt that God was there with us, and I could still worship Him on my own. At one point early in the service the pastor got up to introduce our team. For our presentation we sang the songs, God of Wonders, Sing Alleluia, Every Move I Make, Your Love is Amazing, Yesu nu Wangu, and Ne We We Tu (It’s Only You). Jesse and Amanda Konzal also shared their testimonies. The team was nervous about singing the Swahili songs and getting them wrong, but I think the congregation was excited enough that the knew a song (they joined in) that it didn’t really matter if the team was mispronouncing a few words. The service lasted for almost three hours, but it really didn’t seem that long. Afterwards we got to meet a few people, but for the most part we stayed together as a team until we headed back to Mama Jared’s for the afternoon. Petah went to the airport and that afternoon he brought good news, all our lost duffels had been found Thank you for praying. SUNDAY EVANGELISM Sunday afternoon we were given the opportunity to go on an EV trip. We drove 45 mins out the other side of town to Farajah Seminary School. (Teen Missions had previously built their first building, and just last year built another dorm for them.) Because it was an EV trip, the team wore the black skirts/pants and a blue collared evangelism shirt. The team may have been nervous about presenting again, but I think the feeling that they were finally able to get to do something that they came to do was more predominant. On the drive over, the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro emerged from the clouds- that added to an already beautiful afternoon made the sight amazing. When we arrived at the school we were greeting by the Second Headmaster and the Pastor for the school. Both seemed really thankful that we were able to come. Before taking us in to where the students were gathered they told us a little about the school and showed us a few of the buildings. When we entered the meeting place the Second Headmaster briefly introduced us, then gave the mic to Peter. He told them a few things about Teen Missions, and taught them a song from Boot Camp before handing it over to the team to do their presentation. The presentation was the same as they had practiced that morning in church. Chris, Elizabeth, Sydney, and Rachael all played the guitars (Thanks to God all the missing duffels and guitars had arrived safely earlier that afternoon, and aside from wet clothes packed last minute at boot camp there was nothing too wrong with them). And again, it went very well. The students joined in on the songs they knew. It was really neat to see so many teenagers praising God. Peter then talked on a passage from 1 and 2 Kings- about Elijah and Elisha, how we must know the point at which we turned away from God and turn back to Him. Several of the students stood up to re-dedicate their lives to God at the end of the night. Afterwards we were able to mingle with the students at the school, meeting a lot of them. It was hard to leave because just as we were getting comfortable, it was time to leave. The school gave us Coke and made us some doughnuts to take back for dinner. That evening during devotions I noticed that the team seemed a little more inspired and prayed more for the people of Tanzania, especially for all the students they had just met. It will be amazing to see how God will continue to work through us on these EV trips, and even while doing construction in the future. Back at the house we had dinner, and prepared for evening devotions, which Amanda Taylor led. MONDAY On Monday the team was given the chance to do laundry and take showers. After devotions we also had a practice quiz-off which helped with the memory verses since many are still trying to finish their weekly review. Monday afternoon, after the Bible marking class, Peter arrived with the fixed TMI truck and we were given the opportunity to go to the Teen Missions Tanzania base Camp on the mountain to pick up a few supplies. It was a long drive up there and back, and cold- but mainly due to the wind and sitting on the back of the truck. Once up there we unloaded a storage bin and gathered several needed supplies before we move to the other mountain. We didn’t stay too long, just long enough to pack everything into the truck, but it was dark by the time we were able to leave. On the way back, a few of the girls decided to sing worship songs, so we listened and sometimes joined in all the way back to Mama Jared’s where a hot dinner was waiting for us. Michael led evening devotions that evening, which was quite encouraging.
I can't wait till he comes home! But I know he's having a blast there and is probably not even homesick. :-) Perhaps one day he'll be a full time missionary! That would be awesome! I might just have to go with him!
~MJ~
12 comments:
Ha. Thats funny. I just put that last update on my blog! Oops. Didn't know you had it on here already! Oh well, I think I put a little more of that last one on mine anyways.
Kakieodo
Thanks for sharing that update! I'm glad that all is going well and that those lost bags were found- yikes! Missing luggage is no fun... When I went to Alaska they announced after we had arrived back in MN that alot of the luggage for our flight had been left in Anchorage.: (
Oh man, I hate it when they lose bags. Ouyr first trip to Alaska they almost lost our fishing rods, NOT COOL :) The second trip they lost Dr. Shormann's main bag. Although that turned out to be pretty fun, cuz he called home and Mrs. Shormann told him just to buy whatever he needed. There's nothing that's much more fun than going to Sportsman's Warehouse and Spending quite a bit of other people's money :)
On the bright side, now he gets to enjoy the thrill of being resourceful, innovating, and learning to do without :)
by "he" I mean Jaron
HAHA, I was just listening to your music player thingy, and a Josh Groban song came on... and... haha... I can't stop laughing... he sounded like a chipmunk that was being chased, drouned (sp?), and choked all at the same time. Hillarious!!!
I like your music selections, except for Rascall Flats, that guys voice is like a knife cutting through my very soul.
What?! Which Groban song?
I really like Rascal Flatts voice!! He's differnt and very talented!
~MJ~
THIS IS THE COOLEST SONG!!!! WHAT MOVIE IS IT OFF OF??????
Isn't it great? I think it's from the movie Armageddon. I'd never heard of the movie before. I found it on accident while browsing through Hans Zimmer's stuff. Awesome song!
~MJ~
Missy: It's "When you say you love me"... One of Brooke's J.G. songs did the same thing! I've never had any problems with any of the other songs on you or Brooke's players-it must be the "Josh Groban curse".
John: My brothers think that it sounds like a chipmunk being chased, drowned,and choked while dancing a hornpipe...: )
Hehe, they win :)
I forgot which song it was, sure was funny though.
R Flatts is certainly different, not sure about the talented part :) But it's a free country and everyone is entitled to their own opionion.
Rascal Flatts is very Talented.
And that Armageddon is amazing!!!
Rascal Flatts - ew.
Post a Comment