Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Minstry- thoughts I wrote last year but never posted

For so long I've held it in my mind that people work a job so they can pay the bills and then they do "ministry" or stuff for God on the side- unless they are missionaries or pastors who have dedicated their WHOLE life to doing stuff for God. It often seemed that by the time you put together ministry, job, family, and life stuff, there was no room left for your passions or gifts. Oh, there were always a few people who got a job doing what they loved, or maybe they grew up wanting to be a pastor or missionary, but those people seemed few and far between. So, I felt that if I was going to properly server God I had to fill my life up with ministry and missions. When I would daydream about having a racehorse farm I would always add on that I witnessed to people in the profession. Or if I daydreamed about being in a band, I always had to make it a christian/worship band. Now, neither of those dreams are bad in and of themselves. However, I know my reasoning was off. My focus was on making sure God got put in there somewhere. You see, I realize now that I felt like perhaps those two passions were regular life professions and not "God professions". They weren't "ministry" so I had to MAKE them ministry. I had to justify NOT doing "ministry" by putting God into my passions. That is messed up thinking.

Thing is, God GAVE me those passions for a reason. He WANTS me to use them and delight in them. He loves to see me happy and delighting in His gifts. He wants me to stop focusing on DOING and just be His. He's gonna show me the rest.

When I realized this, I was suddenly free to pursue my passions without anything holding me back. I am going to music school and I couldn't be more excited. The love of music is a part of me-- a passion and gift the Lord has given me. Making use of that gift and delighting in it gives me life. It make's my Father in heaven happy too. So I've come to this conclusion...

Ministry should not be a part of your life. Ministry should not be your life.

Your life should be your ministry.
Basically, I feel like we often put the emphasis on "ministry." Thus making the specific time we spend doing "things for God" a separate part of our lives. We have our job, our family, our social life, and our ministry. Perhaps we should take ministry out of there and make our job, our family, and our social life- basically our LIFE- our "ministry." Quit focusing on DOING and start focusing on BEING. Live your life, the life God has given you, to the fullest and BE HIS. He'll take care of the rest.
Whatever path God has chosen for you to walk is unique for you and walking that path is the best thing you can do. God has given each of us different gifts and passions. Using those passions will bring Him glory. He has a plan for you in his great commission using the gifts He's given you. Master those gifts and love them. Thats why He gave them to you.

Thoughts?
~MJ~

1 comment:

John Chambers said...

Missy,

You are right on the spot... What a wonderful thing to learn at such a young age. I am VERY BLESSED at what the Father is showing you!!!!