Saturday, July 30, 2011

Love is...

If I had to pick a theme for this year I'd have to be love. God is teaching me how to love people. I've done a little studying on love languages and God has given me lots of opportunities to love people when I really don't want to or ever harder- when they don't love me back. Its been a very rewarding journey so far.

Back in January a dear friend and I started an exercise using the I Corinthians 13 chapter. Basically we decided to go through each characteristic listed about love and focus on one per month. During that month we'd pray and ask God to give us chances to enact that aspect of love towards people. This month we're on Love is not easily angered. Its been cool to see how God will bring things across our paths just so we can practice these different characteristics. I don't always pass the tests but God is patient and he'll remind me so that I can do better on the next time. Houston traffic has been good practice for not getting easily angered hahaha!

Another aspect of love that God has been working on in me all year is Love always hopes. Its so easy for me to just write off people as unchangeable or so messed up they will never make it. I've caught myself nearly giving up on people or even just not putting forth effort into a relationship cause I don't see how it will help. God has been reminding me that there is ALWAYS hope. He's shown me that when I have hope for people it completely changes the way I see them and interact with them. Love always hopes. Love doesn't give up on people. God always hopes for me. God doesn't give up on me. And He is teaching me to do the same.

Its truly beautiful how love can totally change your perspective of a person. Love changes everything. Learning to love people with God's love has been so fulfilling and I am so blessed to be able to share His love. :)

Pray for us as we go on to practicing Love is not self-seeking in a few days!

~MJ~

No comments: