I've been taking a class this spring called Perspectives . Its a sweet class about missions and God's heart for the world. Its been such an eye opener. Anyway, this last week we had a great speaker, Jimmy Dorrell, who talked about some really neat stuff. My dad posted on his blog some quotes so I stole them to post on here too... :)
"Tonight's speaker was Jimmy Dorrell, who started a church for the homeless under a bridge in Waco, Texas in 1992. He also has a ministry to the poor called Mission Waco.
Here are a couple of quotes from his talk tonight.
"People with problems, need to be part of the solution for the problem"
"We have taught so much and done so little." Talking about the American church.
He says they have an abundance of requests to help between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Come the middle of July, there is no help to be found.
My favorite story of the night is how they minister to poor families during Christmas. Instead of bringing free gifts to families and embarrassing the parents that cannot afford gifts for their children, they open a store and sell gifts and toys for 80% off. This way dignity is maintained and there is a price paid."
I really enjoyed listening to him!
Joyfully!
~Missy~
3 comments:
Wow! wish I could go to that class! I agree with the speaker. Especially on that "teach much, do little" quote. For all our talk about being imitators of Christ, it seems like the church at large isn't really acting like Jesus did. And I'd really like to visit that church for the homeless someday...
Oh I want to visit that church too! You should hear the stories he told about it! SO convicting!!!!
Ah, I liked that speaker alot. I'm all for taking a trip to the church under the bridge!
-Ashley
Post a Comment