Sunday, September 18, 2011

Ministry Here at UH

The semester is in full swing and the exams have begun! :) Classes are going quite well and keeping me plenty busy.

Life here at the Bayou Oaks house(PHOS-The Lighthouse) is going quite well. We are getting ready to start some Bible studies/small groups with the fraternities and sororities in this community. Surprisingly people around here have ASKED us to start them and expressed much interest in what we're all about.

Our first girls bible study will be tomorrow afternoon. We will be ty-dying t-shirts and making hairbows. Karis will be leading the Bible Study part.
Today Lauren and I walked around to each fraternity and sorority house and told them about the upcoming Open House and the girls bible study(we only told the sororities). The girls were exetremely receptive and very excited about the Bible Study/craft day tomorrow. I feel like we will have a great turn out. :) Yay!

The Open House is on Friday from 4:30-9. It is basically a time for all our neighbors to drop by and see what we're all about. It'll also give them a chance to let us know how we can better serve them.

On Monday nights we have freshman night. My roommate, Katie, and I lead a small group of freshman girls. Right now there are only 3 of them but they have plans to invite their friends. We met last week and they were really open and excited about the future gatherings!

I'm also meeting one-on-one with a few girls every week. I get to be a big sister to them and walk beside them and encourage them in this college adventure! :) I love it.

We have an awesome prayer room upstairs on our fourth floor! We're excited about putting it to more use with weekly prayer meetings and worship times! Friday at 6am is our first team prayer meeting and I know most of us are thrilled to have that time with everybody.

PHOS is really turning into a literal Lighthouse! God is moving here at UH and it is gonna be amazing. Hang out tight and look out Houston! :)

Please pray for all these upcoming events and the relationships that already are established and the relationships that will be formed. Thank you!

~MJ~

2 comments:

Dad said...

That's cool Missy. I'm excited for you!

Dad

Bethany said...

Super awesome, Missy! I can tell you're pretty pumped...cha ching! =) -bethy