Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Been Awhile...

Well folks, seems like blogger traffic has been pretty slow lately. Everybody has gone facebook. :-)

School started today for me! I'm excited because I'll not have to be asking which car I have to take! No more driving the Van to school! Yay!

My cat Felicia has adopted the most hilarious habit as of late! She sits on top of the hamster cages and watches them hungrily. It is SOO funny!

I'm really looking forward to the Mustang season this year! We're all hoping they make it to WS this year since its JC's last year. :-( As a player anyway. Somehow I don't think that just because JC will be done playing, we'll be done with the organization. :-)

Well, what books have you people been reading lately?

~MJ~

15 comments:

Hannah Maria said...

So true... facebook is a little more effortless and addicting than blogger. : )

I'm reading this AMAZING book right now by Joy Dawson called "Forever Ruined for the Ordinary". I'm also reading a book called "They like Jesus but they don't like the Church", which is intresting.

What are you reading, Missy?

The Pookie said...

I just finished "Marriage to a Difficult Man: the Uncommon Union between Jonathan and Sarah Edwards" AMAZING!!! And now I'm reading the autobiography of Benjamin Franklin.

Anonymous said...

I'm reading several books... as usual. Anyway, I just finished Jane Austen's Persuasion. I LOVED it! Must read it if you haven't!
I'm also reading Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper. I started a million years ago though. I can be a really slow reader sometimes. But I guess with books like those its better to digest it over a long period of time rather than gobbling it up in a few days. I'd forget it pretty quick.
Lets see... oh yea I started C.S.Lewis' Screwtape Letters. I don't think I'll finish it anytime soon. Its one of those book where I'd have to read every sentence twice to truly get it. I don't like books like that.
I'm probably reading a few others as well...

African at Heart said...

i am reading a super good book

African at Heart said...

it's called "my hands came away red" it's pretty sad

Anonymous said...

"Knowing God" by Packer, excellent

Hannah Maria said...

Yeah! Didn't I tell you to buy that? : ) It's one of my all time favorites...

Anonymous said...

yeah you did, it's good, I don't think I totally agree with him on his interpretation of the second commandment though. He's saying that it's a sin to, in any way, "create" (ie: paint, sculpt, draw, etc.) anything that's supposed to represent God. He says that any such creation is insulting to God because nothing humans create can even begin to do justice to the God their trying to represent. Then it seems like he went to the Bible and tried to pull a bunch of examples from scripture that, in my personal opinion, were REALLY stretching it, if you know what I mean. I think the second commandment means that we are not supposed to create anything and then worship it (like some catholics do with the crucifix and statues of Mary), but I'm not sure that means that we can't depict God in anyway. His logic behind the belief was good, I just didn't think he backed it up scripturally all that great. But I'm not totally sure, been a while since I read that part, more research is needed :) It's still an excellent book though, that just kind of caught my eye.

Hannah Maria said...

John:
Yes, I agree with you. I heartily disagreed with what Packer said about images. I think the key words in the 2nd commandment are "you shall not bow down to them and worship them". If you think about it imagry was very important in places of worship in the OT. The tabernacle and the temple used many symbolic images- and while there are no passages of scripture that talk about a person portraying God, there were many images of angels used in places of worship- there were statues of angels on the ark of the covenant! following Packers line of reasoning,it would be wrong to portray angels since we don't know what they look like and we might get wrong ideas of what they look like by having these images of them, right? Anyway- I am very visual (it's the way I learn and respond best) so images used in worship are very powerful for me. If I'm looking at an depiction of Christ bruised and bloodied on the cross while I sing "See from his head, his hands, his feet
Sorrow and love flow mingled down
Did ever such love and sorrow meet
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?", the words really sink into my soul. I'm not worshipping that image of Christ, it's just helping me to think about what I'm singing about, the depth of Christ's suffering for me. Anyway...

Anonymous said...

Missy how does your blog always get picked for theological discussions?

Missy said...

What can I say? Its just so very inspiring! :):):)

Hannah Maria said...

Lol... : ) It's either a theological debate or a baseball argument.

Missy said...

Oh! Where did all my baseball arguments go! I haven't had one in so long I forgot about them! I knew my blog was missing something!!

:)

Anonymous said...

I heard some guy on the radio say that the Astros passed up some star and picked up some loser... is that correct?

Anonymous said...

haha! I can't argue with that! They sure did pick up a looser!